Are you having fun going wild in Red Dead Redemption 2 but aren’t sure how to deal with a bounty on your head? Here’s how to give Arthur Morgan a little more breathing room.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is less forgiving than Grand Theft Auto 5 when it comes to doling out punishments. Accidentally hit someone with your horse? Have a bounty. Shot someone even though they started it first? Tough – you’re getting a bounty. Robbed a stagecoach and murdered everyone in cold blood? Yeah, you actually deserve a bounty for that one.
A bounty is the amount of money that’s paid to bounty hunters to gun you down. It’s not the same as Wanted level and the higher it is, the more likely you’re going to have bounty hunters come after you. You can die in a hail of bullets but while your Wanted level will be reset your bounty will still be there. Here’s how to get rid of it, provide you have enough cash (you can check your bounty amounts by moving your cursor over the map screen):
- Go the map and find the nearest town.
- Check the town isn’t locked down (the shop icons will be greyed out).
- If it is locked down due to your activities, wait or go to another town.
- Look for the envelope icon in that town. Click the cursor on it to set a route. Or, if you’re near your camp and have unlocked fast travel you can fast travel to the town.
- Go to the envelope icon, which is the post office. Be careful in town – get into trouble while you’re there and you’ll have to start all over again.
- Go to the man at the post office and press the interact button (typically the left trigger).
- Select the option to pay off your bounties.
- There are bounties for each region. Pay off the local region and then pay off as many as you can afford. You can do this from any post office.
- Head back out and try not to get into trouble.