Are you a keen gamer? Do you know your Epics from your EAs and your Edith Finches from your Alan Wakes? GameSpew is looking for an enthusiastic news reporter to produce several news stories a day, covering all aspects of video games and the industry.
GameSpew isn’t an all-powerful corporation. It’s not owned by a big company. In fact, it isn’t owned by a company at all. One of the biggest independent gaming websites on the net, GameSpew was created and continues to be operated by two people who are simply passionate about video games. You won’t find them in a business suit in a boardroom; most likely they’re in their home office, wearing pyjamas, getting distracted by their pet cats and drinking a LOT of tea.
We’re looking to expand our team to add someone just as passionate about video games as we are. We don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to have fun, and we like our personalities and sense of humour to shine through in what we publish on GameSpew.
A broad knowledge and taste in games is a huge plus. You do not necessarily need to have formal news writing experience as long as you can demonstrate your passion and ability to quickly craft and source good stories.
Working two hours a day Monday to Friday, you’ll be required to write articles covering a variety of up to date news stories. Having a good nose for a news lead will be beneficial, as well as quickly being able to turn a press release into an entertaining story.
You’ll be working remotely, supported by the website’s Editor in Chief.
You can be located anywhere in the world, as long as your two working hours fall within UK office hours (between 9am-5pm BST).
This is a contracted role where you’ll be paid a fixed monthly sum. You’ll be self-employed, so you’ll be responsible for your own taxes.
- Excellent written English, with the ability to demonstrate your own flair and personality through short articles. We don’t just want regurgitated press releases.
- An avid interest in video games. It helps to care about what you’re writing about!
- To be able to work diligently, to be able to source stories independently and follow instruction.
- A great attention to detail. News stories need to be written quickly, so speed and accuracy are important, while also ensuring facts are correct.
- Access to multiple gaming platforms.
- To help out in other areas of the website as necessary – i.e. game reviews and previews.
- Social media experience – know how to use a hashtag, and how to craft an eye-catching Facebook post
- Previous experience writing news is a plus.
- Experience using the WordPress platform.
How to apply
Think you’re a good fit for the GameSpew team? Send an email to email@example.com with the subject title “News writer application”. We need the following things:
- Use the body of the email to tell us why you think you’ll be a good fit for GameSpew’s news writer.
- Tell us what hours you’d be available, or the two-hour window you’d most enjoy working. (Is your brain more awake first thing in a morning? Let us know! Need a lie-in and several coffees before you’re ready to go? That’s fine too.)
- Attach your CV/resume.
- Have published work anywhere else? Share some links with us!
- Send over two sample news articles based on stories from the last week. Include a link to your source for each.
We’re looking for someone to start ASAP, but we’re willing to wait for the right person. As such, there’ll be no official closing date, but if you think you are the person we’re waiting for, get in touch as soon as possible.