Greedfall’s Kurt is a tough nut to crack and is, more likely than not, going to utterly humiliate you during the game’s opening tutorial. But is there a way to beat him?
GreedFall, from Spiders (they’re not real spiders) is an action role-playing game which, despite being set in an alternate fantasy world, mirrors the conquest of America by various nations. We gave it an 8/10, calling it an “impressive debut for what could well become a classic series.”
The game opens with a tutorial section that shows you the ropes by having you fight Kurt, your combat trainer.
You’ll get the opportunity to spar with him later in the game when you’ve had the chance to level up; but here you’re a raw rookie, fighting against a veteran brawler. Is it even possible to beat him? Or will he always humiliate you, handing you off to his subordinate for some extra training?
The answer is: yes, you can beat Kurt in GreedFall – but it’s very, very tricky. The secret is not to block his attacks but instead to dodge. And given that one of his slashes will halve your energy bar, you need to be very careful. Here’s what to do.
- When Kurt charges, use the dodge button to sidestep.
- Immediately attack with your primary attack.
- Step back. Don’t be tempted to try to get two attacks in.
- Repeat this. He has a lot of armour so it’ll take a lot of work to break through his blue armour shields.
- When the shields are gone, keep attacking in this manner but you’ll notice you’ll do more and more damage each time. Eventually, when his energy bar is down to nothing you’ll be victorious.
Apart from a sense of smug self-satisfaction, beating him also gives you the option to skip the remainder of the combat tutorial.
More GreedFall guides
- Can You Level Up Your Companion Characters?
- How to Dodge and Roll
- How Do You Camp?
- How Many Companion Characters Are There?
- Can You Play as a Female Character?
- How to Sleep and Advance Time
- Can You Play GreedFall in Multiplayer, Co-Op or Split Screen?
- How to Switch Weapons (And Why You Should)
- How to Use Your Gun
- Can You Play GreedFall Once You’ve Completed the Story?
- How to Level Up
- How Long Does it Take to Complete Greedfall?
- How to Craft Items
- How to Fast Travel