Wondering how many different endings Moons of Madness has and how you get them? Here’s what you need to know.
WARNING: This will spoil the end of Moons of Madness!
Moons of Madness is not, despite the game’s title, a game where, playing as Cthulhu, you go around pressing your naked backside against glass-fronted skyscrapers. Instead, it’s a single-player space-based horror game set in the same universe as Funcom’s MMO The Secret World/Secret World Legends.
It sees you struggling to combat an eldritch force that corrupts everything it touches, as well as the possible return of two ancient, eldritch gods. If you’ve read any H.P. Lovecraft, the mythos that Moons of Madness emulates, you can tell that things aren’t going to end well. But how many different ways can the game end and how do you get those endings?
There are in fact, two endings. There’s a ‘good’ ending and a ‘bad’ ending, though both end with you floating in space, low on oxygen. You don’t need to collect any special objects or do anything in particular to get the good ending; the turning point occurs right at the end of the game.
How to get the ‘good’ ending in Moons of Madness
- When you’ve been thrown out of the rocket, your mother will start talking to you, insisting that the only way to free her is to let the dreamers wake.
- A radio prompt will appear on screen; press T to activate it.
- Click the mouse to select ‘launch payload’.
- The rocket will launch a missile, which will destroy the dreamers, who are asleep in the moons of Phobos and Deimos.
- And there you go. The dreamers are gone but you’re still stuck in space.
How to get the ‘bad’ ending in Moons of Madness
- When your mother starts talking to you as you float in space, do nothing.
- That’s it. The dreamers will wake and you’ll see one of the two floating near you.
Neither ending is particularly elaborate and it’s not clear whether the dreamers will, in fact, bring about the end of the universe. But it’s a choice of sorts. Once you’ve got one ending you can reload your last save and, after boarding the rocket, get the other ending.