For two months, Stadia Pro is free to sign up to. Here’s how to create an account and start playing games.
On 8th April, Google announced that it was giving free access to Stadia Pro to everyone for two months. That means, until June, everyone can make use of Stadia and enjoy the handful of games available for free to Pro members. But how do you sign up?
It’s simple – and if you already have a Google account, there’s no need to make a new one. Be warned though: even though there’s a two-month trial, you do have to give Google your bank account details. If you don’t cancel, you’ll be billed $9.99/£8.99 a month starting from June, but you can cancel straight away.
Here are the steps you need to follow in order to sign up to Stadia Pro for free:
- Head to stadia.com in Chrome. If you’re already signed into Google, you’ll be prompted with a ‘Buy now’ button. Don’t click it; instead, click ‘Switch account’ at the top right of the screen.
- Hit ‘sign out’. You’ll now be taken back to the Stadia homepage, and you’ll see a ‘Try now’ button. Click that.
- Sign in again with your Google account, or click ‘create account’ if you don’t have one.
- Once you’re signed in, you’ll be taken through a series of account creation screens. First, it’ll ask you for an invite code. You don’t need this, so click confirm.
- Accept the Terms of Service, and click ‘next’. Sorry, you’ve gotta!
- Choose your cute avatar, then click ‘next’.
- Choose your Stadia name. It can be 15 characters in length, made up of letters and numbers. Click ‘next’
- The next screen will ask you to confirm your name. Click ‘next’ again. You’ll then be asked to choose some privacy settings. When you’re done, click ‘next’.
- Nearly done: the penultimate step asks if you want Google Stadia to send you update emails. Make your choice, then click ‘next’.
- The next page asks if you’d like to start your 2-month Stadia Pro trial. Click ‘start trial’. You’ll be asked to confirm your bank details, then confirm.
- Once that’s done, you’re now a Pro member!
You’ll be taken straight to the Stadia platform once you’ve followed those steps. The next thing you’ll need to do is head to the store, and browse the Stadia Pro games. Click on each one and “claim” to add it to your library in order to be able to play it.
If you want to ensure you aren’t charged after your two month free Stadia Pro membership trial expires, click on your player icon in the top-right of the screen. Go to ‘Stadia Settings’, then choose ‘Purchases & Subscriptions’. Click ‘Unsubscribe’ at the side of your Stadia Pro subscription. You’ll remain a Pro Member until the two-month trial expires in June. If you decide you want to be a paying member after that time, you can simply hit ‘Restore’ next to your subscription.