It may be called The Game Awards, but that doesn’t mean it’s all about handing out awards.
Quite the contrary, in fact. The annual event, hosted by Geoff Keighley, streamed live last night. And while plenty of awards were handed out – with Naughty Dog and The Last of Us Part II cleaning up seven of them – the real focus of the night is showcasing new and upcoming games.
Indeed, we had E3 levels of announcements last night, with updates to games we already know about and ‘world premiere’ announcements of new ones.
In case you missed it, here’s every announcement from The Game Awards 2020. We’ll be featuring individual announcements on the site with more details throughout the day, but you’ll find a summary below.
- Housemarque’s new game, Returnal, is coming to PS5 on 19th March. Read more here.
- Microsoft’s new studio, The Initiative, finally revealed its first project: a reinvention of Perfect Dark. Read more about it here.
- Tchia is a gorgeous-looking open world adventure set in a tropical paradise inspired by New Caledonia. It’s coming to Steam and Stadia, but no release date just yet.
- The hit multiplayer game Among Us is getting a new airship map. You can read more details here.
- The Callisto Protocol is a brand new game from new studio Striking Distance, led by the creator of Dead Space. It’s no surprise, then, that this looks like a spiritual successor to the series. It’s coming to PC and consoles in 2022, so we’ve got a while to wait yet.
- Flight Simulator will be making its way to Xbox in summer 2021.
- Super Meat Boy Forever finally has a release date, and it’s just around the corner: 23rd December. Celebrate Christmas with some fiendish platforming!
- There’s an Evil Dead game coming to consoles and PC in 2021! It features Bruce Campbell himself, too. The trailer doesn’t give much away, but it’s a co-op and PvP game based on the films and the Ash vs Evil Dead TV series.
- The excellent Disco Elysium is finally coming to consoles with ‘The Final Cut’ edition. It’ll be coming to PS4 and PS5 in March 2021, with a Switch and Xbox Series X/S release to follow in the summer.
- Back 4 Blood looks like Left 4 Dead, basically, and we’re here for it. Co-op multiplayer zombie-killing action, it looks like a lot of fun. It’s set to release on 22nd June 2021. Find out more, and watch the trailer, here.
- Season is a beautiful-looking third-person adventure about taking a road trip… on a bicycle. We don’t know too much about this one, but its trailer absolutely intrigued us.
- We got a new trailer for the next Mass Effect game, as yet unnamed. Read more and see the trailer here.
- Open Roads is a gorgeous-looking road trip adventure from Fullbright, the developer of Gone Home, and Annapurna Interactive. Read more about it here.
- Evil West is a new game from Flying Wild Hog. It crosses dark fantasy with the western genre, and looks to be action packed and delightfully gory. It’s coming to console and PC in 2021.
- It Takes Two is the next game from Hazelight Studios, the team behind A Way Out. It’s another co-op only game, and it looks wonderfully quirky. Read more about it here.
- We got a cool new trailer for Humankind, Amplitude and SEGA’s ambitious strategy game. It also has a PC release date: 22nd April 2021.
- We got a very short teaser trailer for the upcoming Dragon Age game. Read more about that here.
- Forza Horizon 4 is getting a Cyberpunk 2077 crossover in the form of a free vehicle coming to the game on 11th December.
- Ark II was announced, with an impressive CGI trailer featuring none other than Vin Diesel. And a T-rex.
- A very festive season three of Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is starting on 15th December.
- A new version of Sea of Solitude, called Sea of Solitude: Director’s Cut is coming to Nintendo Switch on 4th March.
- New fighters are coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Sephiroth and Cloud from Final Fantasy VII. Its reveal trailer was rather disturbing, showing Mario getting speared (!) by Sephiroth. Don’t worry, he’s fine.
- Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection, a remake of the classic Capcom game, is coming to Switch on 25th February.
- Capcom Arcade Stadium is also coming to Switch, a free-to-download app that allows players to purchase classic titles as add-ons. 1943 – The Battle of Midway will be free to download.
- We got a new trailer for NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…, which is coming to PC and console on 23rd April 2021. Watch the trailer here.
- Yakuza Remastered Collection is coming to Xbox Game Pass on 28th January, and Yakuza 6 on 25th March.