The Game Awards 2020 was held last night, as usual hosted by Geoff Keighley.
Alongside many new trailers and announcements, many of 2020’s best games were awarded for their achievements. But one game brought home more than any others. The Last of Us Part II claimed no less than seven awards, including overall Game of the Year.
In fact, of its nine nominations, it only missed out on two categories: Best Art Direction, which went to Ghost of Tsushima, and Best Score and Music, which went to Final Fantasy 7 Remake.
It’s not surprising, and wholly deserved; The Last of Us Part II is an outstanding piece of work in many ways, regardless of what you thought of its story. Congratulations to Naughty Dog and the team.
And congratulations to everyone else who picked up an award last night. Here’s the full list of winners from The Game Awards 2020.
- Game of the Year: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Game Direction: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Art Direction: Ghost of Tsushima
- Best Score and Music: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Audio Design: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Performance: Laura Bailey as Abby in The Last of Us Part II
- Games for Impact: Tell Me Why
- Best Ongoing Game: No Man’s Sky
- Best Indie Game: Hades
- Best Debut Indie Game: Phasmophobia
- Best Mobile Game: Among Us
- Best Community Support: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Best VR/AR: Half-Life Alyx
- Innovation in Accessibility: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Action Game: Hades
- Best Action/Adventure Game: The Last of Us Part II
- Best RPG: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
- Best Family Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Best Sim/Strategy Game: Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
- Best Multiplayer Game: Among Us
- Most Anticipated Game: Elden Ring
- Esports Game: League of Legends
If you want to watch the full show – brace yourself, it’s over three hours long – you can do so in the video below.