With The Sims 4: Cottage Living landing last week, a new free update to the game became available alongside it.
The latest update to The Sims 4 – version 1.44 on consoles and 18.104.22.1680 on PC – adds new items, new interactions, new water landscaping tool, updates to the UI and a whole lot more. You can read the full patch notes over on EA’s official forum, but we’ve rounded up the key points below.
You don’t need to own Cottage Living to benefit from any of these updates, by the way; these are free to anyone who owns the base game. If your Sims 4 installation hasn’t already updated, it will the next time you boot the game, so you’ll be ready to benefit from this latest update.
- Two new pieces of art are available to purchase in Buy mode, from community artists Ashley Lukashepsky and Mohammed Iman Fayaz.
- New diverse hairstyles are available in create-a-sim.
- In Build Mode, there’s a new Water Tool: you can now use the Terrain Manipulation tool to create a hole and fill it with water.
- New pond effects have been added: you can have ducks, swans, mosquitoes and even an alligator in your pond. You can also change the style of the water from crystal blue to ‘mossy water’ and ‘pond scum’.
- There are new pond objects, including a Bog Log and Colorful Lily Pads.
- Children can how help with gardening – they can now plant, water and weed. Doing so improves their mental skill.
- Group cooking has been added, allowing up to five sims to cook together, including children. You’ll find the option by clicking on a fridge, stove or countertop in the kitchen.
- Zoomers Food Delivery lets your sims order more than just takeaway pizza.
- An in-game calendar was previously only available with the Seasons expansion, but now it’s available to everyone. See birthdays, work/school schedules, special events and more.
- The Notebook has been moved from the phone to its own button
- Categories in Likes and Dislikes in create-a-sim will now display correctly
- In Snowy Escape, using the Bunny Slopes now contributes to the Extreme Sports Enthusiast Aspiration.
- Step-parent/child relationships are no longer missing in the Genealogy panel.
- Toddlers will no longer get negative sentiments against their parents at random.
- Sims can now properly reach level 4 of the Criminal career.