Did you miss Thursday’s Nintendo Direct? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered.
A Nintendo Direct is always an event to celebrate. Whenever one comes around, it’s almost a guarantee that Nintendo will be announcing something worth getting excited over. Tonight’s Nintendo Direct, streamed at 11pm UK time, offered us 40 minutes of upcoming games, most set to arrive this winter.
But was it worth getting excited about? We’ll let you be the judge of that. Here’s everything that was announced.
- Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak: First up, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak from Capcom. It’s a “massive expansion” for Monster Hunter Rise, coming in summer 2022. It contains new locations, monsters and hunting items. The teaser was short, but we can certainly expect BIG DRAGONS.
- Mario Party Superstars: Here’s a game we already knew about, releasing 29th October. The latest trailer gives us a look at some of the boards coming to the game, including Horror Land and Mt. Minigames.
- Voice of Cards: An RPG made of cards? Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars from Square Enix. Everything is represented by a card, and it looks rather beautiful – especially for fans of tabletop RPGs. It’s coming on 28th October, and there’s a demo available now on Switch.
- Disco Elysium: The Final Cut: The greatest RPG of recent years – according to some – is coming to Switch. It’s an incredible deep narrative RPG about a struggling detective, and one that’s well worth digging into if you’re yet to play. It’s coming to Switch on 12th October digitally, with a physical version coming in 2022.
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass: New content is coming to Age of Calamity. Wave 2 will be available on October 29th, bringing a new story chapter and more.
- Chocobo GP: This is… exactly what it sounds like. A kart racing game featuring chocobos. What more could you possibly want from a game? It’s exclusive to Switch, and coming in 2022.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: The final fighter is being revealed on 5th October at 3pm BST. Yep, this is an announcement of an announcement. Sigh.
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land: Everyone’s favourite round ball of pinkness is back. Kirby’s latest game looks to be a 3D adventure platformer where he explores an… apocalyptic world? Imagine if Nintendo redesigned the world of The Last of Us and stuck Kirby in it. That’s the vibes we’re getting from this trailer. Still, we’re here for it. It’s coming to Switch (exclusively, obviously) in spring 2022.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons: New free content is coming to the island of Animal Crossing in November. Although we have to wait until October to find out what it is, when the game will get its own Direct. Another announcement of an announcement. Come on, Nintendo!
- Mario Golf: Super Rush: Koopa Troopa and Ninja is coming to the game in a free update. There’ll also be two new courses, and all will be available from tonight.
- Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition: A 3DS remake of this cutesy Disney game is coming to Switch this December.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Coming to Nintendo Switch on 11th November.
- Dying Light 2 Stay Human: Cloud Version: Yes, the upcoming Dying Light game will be available on Switch… via the Cloud. So if you want to play the game handheld, you can, but you’ll need an online connection. A decent one at that. It’ll be available on 4th February, and a free demo will drop the same day.
- Triangle Strategy: An upcoming RPG presented in “HD-2D” from Square Enix. Interestingly, the game has taken on board lots of feedback from the recent demo, which fans will be pleased to hear. It’ll be available on Switch on 4th March.
- Metroid Dread: The upcoming Metroid game got a new trailer, showcasing some gameplay and a look at some of the epic bosses players can look forward to facing off against. If you want to find out more about the game and its lore, you can head over to its official website.
- Nintendo Switch Online: A new membership is coming alongside Nintendo Switch Online, where members can play a collection of Nintendo 64 and SEGA Mega Drive games. It’s called Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack and it’ll be coming in late October. Existing members can upgrade to the new membership, but we’re yet to find out how much it’ll cost. Oh, and you can buy an official N64 controller and Mega Drive controller to use wirelessly.
- Shadowrun Trilogy: This collection of cult classic RPGs is coming to Switch in 2022.
- Castlevania Advance Collection: Four classic Castlevania games are coming to Switch… now. They’ll be available “shortly after the presentation”. Go, go, go!
- Actraiser Renaissance: A classic SNES game is coming back with a new face lift. Again, this will also be available shortly after the presentation. Now you’re just spoiling us, Nintendo.
- Deltarune Chapter 1&2: The beloved Deltarune is coming to Nintendo Switch. Both chapters will be available shortly after the presentation.
- Wreckfest, Hot Wheels Unleashed, Rune Factory 5, Wreckfest, Arcade Archives: A short montage of some games coming to Switch
- A Mario movie: Illumination is making a full-length Mario animated movie, coming holiday 2022. There’s some excellent talent involved: Chris Pratt is going to be Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy will be Princess Peach, Charlie Day is Luigi, Jack Black is Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key is Toad, Seth Rogen is Donkey Kong, and Charles Martinet, who has voiced Mario games over the years, will also be involved.
- Splatoon 3: The next instalment of the multiplayer paintball game got a new trailer. It looks like… Splatoon? There’s no release date yet, other than “next year”.
- Bayonetta 3: She’s back. The latest game in the Bayonetta series is coming to Switch in 2022. The new trailer shows off some gameplay, including a demon fight in a subway train, and a rather epic battle against a hulking beast.
You can watch the Direct for yourself, and watch all the trailers, in the video below.