August Prime’s Gaming offerings may not be quite as impressive as last months, but there are still a few goodies up for grabs.
Prime Day was last month which, apart from letting you save money on items you weren’t entirely sure you needed, also saw Prime Gaming subscribers flooded with freebies. You could get the remastered PC Mass Effect trilogy for free, as well as a whole host of indie games.
If you missed out on that, there’s always next year. As for this month? After working their way through the whole Monkey Island series, then moving on to Maniac Mansion (Day of the Tentacle was given away into 2017), you can get Lucasarts second point-and-click adventure Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders free on PC.
It’s as silly as it sounds but it’s also a lot of fun, particularly if you’re a puzzle-fan, and it’s a real piece of Lucasarts history. As well as Zac McKraken, the following games are also on offer:
- StarCraft: Remastered –the remastered version of the classic Zerg-rushing RTS.
- Beasts of Maravilla Island – an eye-catching adventure about a would-be wildlife photographer.
- Recompile – an action game that sees your program fighting to avoid deletion.
- ScourgeBringer – a fun but unforgiving platform-based roguelike.
- Family Mysteries: Poisonous Promises– a hidden object game where you engage in some shady behaviour.
Starcraft: Remastered is excellent, even by today’s standards and even if you have played the original, this is a chance to catch up on the lore, plus it includes the Brood War expansion. As for the rest, they’re well worth dipping into, though hidden object games are an acquired taste.
There’s also extra content for Fall Guys and a few other titles; you can find the full list of what’s available here. All August’s Prime Gaming games will be available from August 1st to the end of the month.