Want to get a sneak preview of Dead by Daylight’s latest features before they hit the main game? You need to play on the PTB or Public Test Build. Here’s how.
Actually, before we get to that, a quick warning. Any progress you make playing the Dead by Daylight PTB won’t carry across to the main game. Take the latest 6.5.0 PTB, for example – the live date has been copied from the main December 19th build, so your character will be there. But any progress you make will be lost when the 6.5.0 build test period ends.
So how do you access to the PTB? Firstly, you need to be playing on PC, via Steam. Sorry, you’re out of luck if you’re on console: the public test build isn’t available on PlayStation or Xbox. The good news is that the Steam version of Dead by Daylight is often discounted. Right now it’s available for under £6.00.
So, assuming you’ve got the game on Steam, do the following:
- Go to your Steam library and go to the games list, usually on the left of the window.
- Right click on Dead by Daylight, then left click on properties.
- Left click on Betas. You should see “none” below “Select the beta you would like to opt into”.
- Click on none, then select “public test – External Branch for Public Tests”.
- You should now see [public test] next to Dead by Daylight in your games list.
- Steam will automatically download the Dead by Daylight PTB version.
When you want to go back to the main version, repeat this procedure but instead of public test, select “none” again.