I am terrified of open water and I hate boats, so what better way to spend my free time then getting on a boat in open water in a virtual world pulling innocent fish out of their home for my consumption and/or my entertainment? I can’t think of one.
There are 13 legendary fish ripe for the taking in Red Dead Redemption 2 (save for one bonus fish you can catch after catching all the others and reaching the end of chapter 6). Here’s everything you need to know about catching them all.
Get The Stranger Mission From Jeremy Gill
If you’ve got the stranger mission from Jeremy Gill, then you should have the location of each fish using the map he gives you.
If you haven’t found Jeremy yet, he should show up in his known location at a dock named, ironically, Gill Point. If you follow Flat Iron Lake on the north side, he is located just left of the border between New Hanover and Lemoyne. After you meet with Gill he’ll give you the map and ask that you mail him any legendary fish you catch for a little bit of extra cash.
Getting the legendary fish map will make it much easier to find all of the fish in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Catching Legendary Fish in Red Dead Redemption 2
To improve your chances of catching each fish be sure to use the correct recommended lure. Always use the lure that corresponds with the body of water you’re fishing in. Swamp lure for a swamp fish, river lure for a river fish and so on. Below is the list of the location of each fish and well which lure is recommended to make it an easy cheat sheet.
All Legendary Fish
- Legendary Bluegill Catfish Location – Flat Iron Lake between the island south of Clemens Point and the shore. Recommended lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Bullhead Catfish Location – Sisika Island just left (west) of the penitentiary. Recommended lure: Special River Lure. Note: You will need a rowboat to reach Sisika.
- Legendary Chain Pickerel Location – Dakota River northwest of Flatneck Station. Recommended Lure: Special River Lure.
- Legendary Lake Sturgeon Location – South of the railroad leading to Saint Denis. Recommended Lure: Special River Lure. Note: Be very careful fishing in this location, this writer has been hit by a train during her relaxing fishing trip before.
- Legendary Largemouth Bass Location – Northwest San Luis River. To the west of the “S” in San on the map. Recommended Lure: Special River Lure.
- Legendary Longnose Gar Location – Lagras, near a southern island just above the peninsula. Recommended Lure: Special Swamp Lure.
- Legendary Muskie Location – The Van Horn Trading Post, at the bottom of the lighthouse in that location. Recommended Lure: Special River Lure.
- Legendary Perch Location – Elysian Pool. Recommended Lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Redfin Pickerel Location – Stillwater Creek, southwest of Thieves Landing. Recommended Lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Rock Bass Location – Aurora Basin Pier just east of Blackwater. Recommended Lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Smallmouth Bass Location – Owanjila Lake, west of Strawberry. Recommended Lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Sockeye Salmon Location – Lake Isabella, western side of the Grizzlies just South of the Legendary Bison location.Recommended Lure: Special Lake Lure.
- Legendary Steelhead Trout Location – Willard’s Rest, just North of Annesburg, East of the Legendary Moose location. Recommended Lure: Special River Lure.
Catching legendary fish in Red Dead Redemption 2 won’t be as easy as catching normal fish so take your time with it, try not to break your line, and have fun! And don’t forget to send them along to Gill for some sweet sweet cash.